blog about us events spotlight favorites

MEMBERS

Drea Jojo Princess Gianna Victoria Jenny Arica Lauren Michelle

 

Art, Work
Friday, May 8, 2009 @ 12:39 PM

I'm sitting at a cafe across my apartment waiting to order a double espresso having a minor anxiety attack (perhaps I should order a single?) I've just started reading "Art/Work" which claims to have (on the cover no less) "Everything you need to know (and do) as you pursue your art career." Now as an artist with a full time day job, and couple other part time jobs in her late-mid 20's there's a lot to get anxious about. And there is also a lot to get serious about.

With all my said jobs while filling all other time with making art I've had little time to focus on the business aspect of art. But, I need to. I have finally taken few necessary steps such as putting together a website and making business cards (a little advice to artists who spend a good amount of money getting nice cards made, DON'T TAKE THEM TO BARS WHERE YOU PLAN TO HAVE A FEW, you'll end up giving away too many of them to people that have zero art connection.) However my journey is just beginning. Being inspired, being creative, and making work is just the very beginning if you want to not only be a successful artist, but a life-long artist.

So here is a list of several books that may help you, motivate you, scare you (out of love) into taking the next step and get out of your head, your studio, hermit, solitary existence, because let's be real here, you need to make a living and be happy in the real world in order to play in your dream world as long as you want.

Photobucket

How to Survive and Prosper as an Artist: Selling Yourself Without Selling Your Soul

by Caroll Michels


Photobucket

Art/Work

by Heather Darcy Bhandari and Jonathan Melber


Photobucket

The Artist's Guide: How to Make a Living Doing What You Love

by Jackie Battenfield


I have to say, I appreciate and do read these books, but nothing really beats reading my Anais Nin, Henry Miller or scrunching up all my money to get to sit at a cafe in Paris and scribble in my little sketchbook to show me the way. Ah, I think I really need a business partner!


Cheers,
m.

MichelleJaneLee

Labels: , ,




CHECK OUT OUR PREVIOUS POSTS!